Air Conditioner Repair FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair
During the hot summer months, Fairhope and Foley residents trust their air conditioners to keep them cool inside their homes and businesses. Even with preventative AC maintenance, air conditioners will require repair from time-to-time. If you are experiencing problems with your air conditioner and need AC repair in Foley, AL and surrounding areas, the Anchor Air team has you covered!
Over the many years of repairing air conditioners, we have learned many homeowners have similar questions regarding their AC system. In this article, we have compiled a list of common AC repair questions to help you better care for your system!
What Are Common AC Repairs?
You could need air conditioning repair for a variety of reasons, and at Anchor Air, we’ve seen almost every scenario that warrants attention. The following are some typical issues we take care of during our repair services in the Foley and Fairhope areas:
- Infrequent maintenance: Air conditioners that never receive routine maintenance are more likely to experience problems and sudden breakdowns. Repair services can address what technicians work on during maintenance, but the issues may be more severe.
- Lack of airflow: Dirty air filters and obstructions around your appliance can block airflow and limit your AC’s ability to cool your space. You may need to clean the area or get new filters.
- Blowing warm air: Low refrigerant levels can cause air not to cool before it enters your home.
You may also be dealing with sensor problems, a faulty thermostat, broken parts, on-and-off cycling, and more. Only a licensed technician can tell for sure and provide expert repairs.
Why Is My Air Conditioning System Leaking?
Refrigerant leaks are perhaps the most common but not the only reason your air conditioner has a leak. Your air conditioner constantly shifts refrigerant between gas and liquid form, meaning it doesn’t require refills unless there is a leak and levels deplete over time. A service technician will patch up holes and then test the system after adding more refrigerant. Below are other reasons why an AC unit might leak liquid and what to do about them:
- Clogged drain line: An air conditioner’s condensate drain takes water out of your air conditioner and sends it outside. When this vital AC component is clogged, the water has nowhere to go except out of the pan. You’ll need to clear the drain line of any dirt, debris, or grime before the water can escape, but contacting a professional for the job guarantees the best results.
- Frozen evaporator coil: The evaporator coil can freeze when it has limited access to warm air. When the coil eventually melts, water pools around your air conditioner. You might need to replace your AC filter or try to thaw out your system with the thermostat.
Can I Fix My Air Conditioner Myself?
We never recommend tackling any air conditioning repairs using DIY methods. Many homeowners believe they will save money by doing their own repairs and skip calling their local AC technician in Fairhope, AL. However, you might purchase parts and products you don’t need or cause serious harm to your system — or yourself.
Trying to perform AC repair in Fairhope, AL, without help is dangerous and potentially expensive. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you could end up wasting valuable time and money, worsening your cooling system’s problems in the process. Leave the heavy lifting to the experts at Anchor Air!
How Can I Prevent The Need For AC Repairs?
Some air conditioning issues will persist even when you do everything right. However, there are some ways to minimize your chances of needing repairs.
We recommend you start with the following:
- Replace your air filters every three months or so to prevent blocked airflow.
- Ensure proper ventilation in your home and open windows from time to time.
- Adjust the settings on your programmable thermostat to cool your home as needed.
- Clear at least three feet around your outdoor air conditioning unit to prevent obstructions.
- Schedule annual maintenance services with a trusted air conditioning professional.
How Often Does An Air Conditioner Need Service?
Air conditioners may need repairs at any time but require fewer visits when you keep up with routine maintenance. You can inspect your air conditioner with an Anchor Air technician before the peak season of use. If you never change your AC filters, clean your system, or think about your air conditioner when it’s not in use, you will need AC services more often. Scheduling tune-ups at least once a year should keep most air conditioners in top shape, but you may book them quarterly if necessary.
How Often Do I Need To Clean My AC Coils?
You should clean your air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils at least once annually by a professional. However, you can increase the frequency if you find them building up with dirt and debris more often. Air conditioning maintenance services often involve coil cleaning and checking their conditions.
What Should I Do Before Calling for AC Repair?
Although you should call a professional when you’re having air conditioning problems, there are some troubleshooting steps to take. First, check that you have turned on your air conditioner and that power is going to the appliance. Next, verify that the temperature settings are correct. If your efforts don’t help, call Anchor Air for AC repair in Foley, AL.
How Can I Increase My Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency?
A more energy-efficient air conditioner can lead to fewer repair appointments and prevent premature replacement. It also can help you cut down on expensive monthly energy bills. Furthermore, an energy-efficient system creates an ideal indoor environment for your home or business. If you want to improve your air conditioner’s energy efficiency, we recommend helping reduce the workload on your air conditioner.
Here are some suggested tips to try:
- Clean the area around your outdoor AC unit to help facilitate proper airflow
- Give your air conditioner a break by adjusting thermostat levels
- Regularly change air filters
- Ensure air vents are clean and clear of furniture
- Seal air leaks
- Keep windows and doors closed
If you have an air conditioning question that was not answered, feel free to give us a call! Anchor Air is proud to provide reliable and fast AC repair in Fairhope, AL, and the neighboring areas. If you’re frustrated by an air conditioning issue, contact our personable business for immediate repairs and professional support. Call us at (251) 286-6976 to schedule an appointment now!
Need AC Repair?
Contact us today online or by phone at 251-216-2622 to get started. We look forward to serving you!